Health and Environment
- Health and Wellbeing in China: an interdisciplinary analysis. Commissioned for the Polity Press Modern China Series. Forthcoming 2017.
- Balancing Health, Environment and Development: evolving policy interactions, in Eva Sternfeld (ed) Routledge Handbook of Environmental Policy in China. Routledge. Forthcoming 2017.
- Food Security, Urbanization and Rural Transformations: the view from China. Institute of International Environment and Development (IIED) Working Paper. December 2015. Available online here.
- Environment and Health in China: the role of environmental NGOs in policy innovation, in Fulda, A. (ed) Civil Society Contributions to Policy Innovation in the People’s Republic of China. China Policy Institute/ Palgrave Macmillan. 2015. (Co-authored with Kathinka Fürst).
- Environment, Health and Migration: towards a more integrated analysis. May 2014. United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) Working Paper. Available online by clicking here.
- Food Safety in China: a mapping of problems and research. Forum on Health, Environment and Development (FORHEAD) Report. 2013. Co-authored with Lewis Husain. Available online, please click here to read. (Also available in Chinese)
- Environment and Health Research in China: the State of the Field. 2013. The China Quarterly (June), pp 1-28.
- Introduction to Cancer Village Research by Chen Ajiang, Cheng Pengli and Luo Yajuan. Beijing: Social Science Press. 2013. (Co-authored with Wang Wuyi).
- Environment and Health: Cross-disciplinary perspectives. 2010. Jennifer Holdaway, Wang Wuyi, Ye Jingzhong and Zhang Shiqiu, eds. Beijing: Social Science Academies Press. (In Chinese)
- Environment and Health: an emerging interdisciplinary research field. Journal of Contemporary China. 2010: 19: 63. (Guest Editor of special issue).
- Environment and Health: An Emerging Cross-Disciplinary Research Field, in Holdaway et al. eds, Environment and Health in China. 2010. (Chinese translation of JOCC article above).
Health and Migration
- Mobility and Health Sector Development in India and China. (Co-authored with Peggy Levitt, Fang Jing, and N. Rajaram. Social Science and Medicine. February 2015 (unedited version available online, please click here.
- Migration and Health in China: Challenges and Responses. 2011. Co-authored with Wang Wuyi and Thomas Krafft. IHDP Update. United Nations University (January).
- Migration and Health in China: an Introduction to Problems, Policy, and Research. 2008. Yale China Journal of Public Health.
Migration and Development
- Migration and Development Within and Across Borders: Concepts, Methods, and Policy Considerations in Internal and International Migration. Co-edited with Josh DeWind. Geneva: International Organization for Migration. 2008.
- Social Science Research and Migration Policy in China. 2007. Report to the UK Department for International Development, China.
Migration and Education
- Children of Immigrants at School: A Comparative Look at Integration in the United States and Western Europe. 2013. Co-edited with Richard Alba. New York University Press.
- The Integration Imperative. 2013. Co-authored with Richard Alba, in Alba and Holdaway, eds., Children of Immigrants at School.
- The Children of Immigrants in Old and New Amsterdam. 2013. Co-authored with Maurice Crul, in Alba and Holdaway, eds, Children of Immigrants at School.
- Coming of Age in America. 2011. Co-edited with Patrick Carr, Maria Kefalas, and Mary Waters. University of California Press.
- If you Can Make it There: The Transition to Adulthood in New York City. 2011. In Carr, Kefalas, Waters, and Holdaway eds., Coming of Age in America.
- Inheriting the City: The Second Generation Comes of Age. Co-authored with Philip Kasinitz, John Mollenkopf, and Mary Waters. Russell Sage Foundation/Harvard University Press. 2008.
- Immigrant Communities and American Schools. Co-edited with Richard Alba. Special issue, Teachers College Record, vol.111 no.3, 2009 (online publication 2008).
- Educating Immigrant Youth: Pathways to Mobility and Citizenship in International Perspective. Co-edited with Maurice Crul and Catrin Roberts. Special issue, Teachers College Record, vol 111, no.6. 2009 (online publication 2008).
- Children of Immigrants in Schools in New York and Amsterdam: the Factors Shaping Attainment.2008. Co-authored with Maurice Crul, in Crul, Holdaway, and Roberts, eds. Educating Immigrant Youth.
- Immigrants and Catholic Schools: A New Generation. 2008. Co-authored with Vivian Louie, in Alba and Holdaway, eds., Immigrant Communities and American Schools. Teachers College Record.
Gender and Migration
- Gender and Migration Revisited. Co-edited with Donna Gabaccia, Katharine Donato, Martin Manalansan IV and Patricia Pessar (eds) Special Issue, International Migration Review. Vol. 40, Spring 2006.
- A Glass Half Full: Gender in Migration Studies, in Gender and Migration Revisited. 2006. Co-authored with Donna Gabaccia, Katharine Donato, Martin Manalansan IV and Patricia Pessar (eds) Special issue, International Migration Review. Vol. 40 (Spring).
- Chinese from Outside the People’s Republic of China. 2007. In Mary C. Waters and Reed Ueda (eds) The New Americans. Boston, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Immigrant Faiths: Transforming the Religious Landscape of America. Co-edited with Karen Leonard, Alex Stepick, and Manuel Vasquez. AltaMira Press, 2005.
Magazine articles/media interviews
Selected Recent Presentations
- Interdisciplinary research on environment and health: challenges for social scientists. Institute for Humanity and Nature, Kyoto. March 10 2016.
- Research on Health, Environment and Development in the “New Normal” Era. FORHEAD Annual Conference. Beijing, November 20, 2015.
- Factors influencing meat and dairy consumption in China. Presentation to the Chatham House China Expert Stakeholder Meeting on Meat and Dairy Consumption and GHG Emissions. Beijing. May 13, 2015.
- Migration, industrialization and urbanization in China and the US: implications for social development and social protection. CASS-SSRC Common Concerns Seminar on Migration, Social Development and Social Protection, Beijing, April 15, 2014.
- Environment, Health and Migration: Towards a more integrated analysis. MAIRS Conference, Beijing, April 9, 2014.
- 食品安全在中国：研究现状和未来的研究日程 [Food Safety in China: Current Research and the Future Agenda]. Renmin University Integrated Center on Food Safety. February 22, 2014.
Research and Program Funding
- Funders have included the UK Department for International Development, the Ford Foundation, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, the Lumina Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation, the Mellon Foundation, the Nuffield Foundation, the US National Science Foundation, and the United Board.