Professor Paul Irwin Crookes
- International Relations
- Political Economy
- Foreign Policy, Technology and Innovation, Military, EU-China relations, Cross-Taiwan Strait relations
- China, East Asia
Recent and forthcoming publications include:
- Farnell, J. and Irwin Crookes, P. (2016) The Politics of EU-China Economic Relations: An Uneasy Partnership, Palgrave Macmillan, Politics and Asian Studies. ISBN 978-1137491176
- Irwin Crookes, P. and Knoerich, J. (2015) Cross-Taiwan Strait Relations in an Era of Technological Change: Security, Economic and Cultural Dimensions (Editors), Palgrave Macmillan, St Antony’s Series. ISBN 978-1137391414
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2010) Intellectual Property Regime Evolution in China and India. Brill, Leiden and Boston. Social Sciences in Asia Series. ISBN 978-9004179752.
- Irwin Crookes, P and Farnell, J. (2019) 'The UK's Strategic Partnership with China beyond Brexit: Economic Opportunities Facing Political Constraints' Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, Vol. 48 No. 1. https://doi.org/10.1177/1868102619858783. GIGA / Sage.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2017) 'EU-China Economic Relations: trade and investment tensions persist despite climate cooperation', China's World Vol. 2 No. 2. Huawen Institute.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2016) 'The Political and Security Nexus of the Taiwan Strait and China's New Military Capabilities', The RUSI Journal, Vol. 161 No. 2. The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies / Taylor & Francis.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2014) 'EU Soft Power with China: Technical Assistance in the Field of Intellectual Property Rights', European Foreign Affairs Review, Vol. 19 No. 3/1. Kluwer.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2013) 'Resetting EU-China relations from a values-based to an interests-based engagement', International Politics Vol. 50 No 5. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Irwin Crookes, P. and McManus, J. (2013) 'China and India Leading a Global Insurgency within the Software Industry', Global Business and Economics Review, Vol. 15 No 4, Inderscience.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2012) 'China’s new development model: Chinese prospects in technology innovation', China Information, Vol. 26 No. 2. Sage.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2009) 'China’s Embrace of the Market Economy: Understanding its Innovation Strategy', European View, Vol. 8 Issue 1. Springer.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2015) 'Technological Change and Cross-Strait Dynamics' in Irwin Crookes, P. and Knoerich, J. (Editors) Cross-Taiwan Strait Relations in an Era of Technological Change: Security, Economic and Cultural Dimensions
Irwin Crookes, P., (2022) 'Beijing papers over the cracks in cross-Strait relations' East Asia Forum, 14th September 2022 https://www.eastasiaforum.org/2022/09/14/beijing-papers-over-the-cracks-in-cross-strait-relations
Irwin Crookes, P., Nathan A. and Genevaz J. (2021) 'Recalibrating the Global Balance of Power?' EURICS - Analyses, No. 16, Paris: European Institute for Chinese Studies, 29th October 2021 http://www.eurics.eu/publication_analyses-n16--reequilibrer-la-balance-des-pouvoirs-_en
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2019) 'Achieving Cooperation through Connectivity in EU-China Relations: the BRI and Beyond' Europe's World, 17th January 2019 https://www.friendsofeurope.org/publication/achieving-cooperation-through-connectivity-eu-china-relations-bri-and-beyond
- Irwin Crookes, P. and Farnell, J. (2018) 'Looking East: a UK-China economic partnership after Brexit?' The UK in a Changing Europe: The EU and the World, 31st July 2018 http://ukandeu.ac.uk/looking-east-a-uk-china-economic-partnership-after-brexit/
- Irwin Crookes, P. and Jaros, K. (2018) 'The U.K. Needs to Rethink Its Engagement with China' ChinaFile, 31st January 2018 http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/viewpoint/uk-needs-rethink-its-engagement-china
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2017) 'The EU-China relationship characterised by ineffective political action and lack of trust' Europe's World, 23rd August 2017 http://www.friendsofeurope.org/publication/eu-china-relationship-characterised-ineffective-political-action-and-lack-trust
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2016) 'The Impact of Brexit on Europe-China Relations' University of Oxford: EU referendum and Brexit analysis, 10th October 2016 http://www.ox.ac.uk/news-and-events/oxford-and-brexit/brexit-analysis/impact-brexit-europe-china
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2016) 'Europe and China after Brexit', Asia Dialogue, The Asia Research Institute, 5th August 2016 http://theasiadialogue.com/2016/08/05/europe-and-china-after-brexit/
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2009) Maintaining Europe’s Innovative Advantage: EU Policy Responses to the Asian Challenge in Pharmaceutics and Software. Wilfried Martens Centre for European Studies, Brussels.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2019) Review of "China's Global Identity: Considering the Responsibilities of Great Power" by Hoo Tiang Boon, The China Quarterly Vol. 239 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0305741019001048
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2013) Review of "Conducting Business in China: An Intellectual Property Perspective", by Lei Mei, European Intellectual Property Review Vol. 35 No. 7, Sweet & Maxwell.
- Irwin Crookes, P. (2011) Review of “Playing Our Game: Why China’s Rise Doesn’t Threaten the West”, by Edward S. Steinfeld, East Asia Vol. 28 No. 4.